A lovely, light, spring or summer soup.
*Note: It is important to use brined cucumbers (sour cucumbers) as opposed to the sweet, vinegar based ones you find in the grocery store. You can easily make your own using this recipe.
- 20 g (3/4 oz) Butter
- 300 g (10 1/2 oz) Polski Ogorkie (those brined dill cucumbers) thinly sliced, or grated (reserve the pickle juice to add to broth.)
- 2-3 Potatoes (russets or yukons work great,) peeled, diced
- 1-2 Carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 liter (35fl oz/4C) Soup stock (I use chicken stock or bone broth…. but you can easily make this recipe vegetarian or vegan by substituting for veg. & using sunflower oil instead of butter).
- 60 ml (2fl oz / 1/4 cup) cream (for pouring)
- Fresh, chopped dill
Melt butter in stock pot over medium heat, after foam separates add in sliced cucumbers. Reduce heat, stir and wait until softened. Remove cucumbers and reserve. Add potatoes, carrots, and stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook veg until soft. Add pickles and cook for another 5-10 min. Season to taste with salt, add in pickle juice for a tang (don’t make it overly sour). Finish the soup with a splash of cream and fresh dill.